My name is Paula Chang, and I’m a brand strategist, interactive designer, and all around creative person. I’m currently the
director of design at Omada Health, and co-founder of a woodworking studio and online shop called Tinkering Monkey.
Growing up in the Silicon Valley fueled my passion for technology, and my curiosity is what drives my creativity. I believe that good design goes beyond the surface; it’s about solving problems in new ways, helping others find their voice, and making complex systems easier to understand.
Before joining Mule Design, I was a visual designer at SolutionSet, where I was the lead designer for Stanford Alumni, SourceForge, AliasDesign (Autodesk), and Stuart Foundation. I graduated from San José State University with a BFA in Graphic Design and a minor in Humanities.
This is how I roll.
- I live in a historic, converted cotton mill in Oakland, CA with a bunch of artists. It’s pretty awesome.
- I’m engaged to a brilliant industrial designer who likes running around making stuff as much as I do.
- I ride around in a ’71 VW bus named Boris the Bus. It has solar panels. We go on roadtrips together.
- I have a 600lb industrial laser cutter. We use it to make cool stuff.
- I can levitate
- I listen to 70’s disco and folk most, if not all of the time.
- I’ve traveled my entire life. I still am. Recently, I’ve been to Tokyo, New York, Spain.
- I make burgers for my rabbit. They call me the crazy rabbit lady.
Always have fun.
- I made fake campaign signs to vote for Harry Chest.
- I helped make a giant falafel costume. And rocked it.
- I used to keep a step-by-step food blog. I’ll get back to it. Someday.
- I won a video contest for OXO kitchen products and flew to New York to be their temporary spokesperson. I was terrible.
- I tried to get the cover photo in the SAVEUR photo contest. I didn’t win.
- I did a to raise money for Haiti. I made $571.04.
- I’ve eaten an emu egg.
Design and create.
- I believe designers should know how to code. Here are ten reasons why.
- I designed a propaganda poster about planting trees.
- I also designed graphics for and Israel.
- I worked as a volunteer designer for the Red Panda Network for 5 years just because I like red pandas.
- I went to San Jose State to get a BFA in Graphic Design. It was hard work and lots of fun.
- I believe that cornucopias are the antithesis of good design. They’re hideous and serve no purpose whatsoever.